Family businesses play a key role in the Spanish economy, given their weight in the business sector and their importance in employment.
Despite this fact, many of these businesses disappear after the second or the third generation. In contrast, family businesses that have been strengthened and developed over time are primarily based on a suitable combination of ownership, family and management.
“Mourentán – Mentores de Empresas”, a reference Law Firm for planning and managing the family business matters, offers a wide range of solutions for the different challenges that these companies might face, assisting the entities of every sector and at any stage of generation that they might be. From a professional approach, we get to a thorough understanding of the business features, having a particular sensitivity concerning the inter-family relations.
Giving a wide-ranging service as described underneath, we have encouraged the expansion and consolidation of many family business:
- Diagnosis of the business current situation:
- Analysis of its legal form.
- Business´ background.
- Assets ownership.
- Number of partners.
- Determining the problems threatening the Family Business
- Analysis on the corporate Articles of Association and/or analog documents for adapting them to the business´ needs.
- Advisability of drawing up a “Family Agreement” in order to:
- Grant the business´ continuity.
- Setting up personal/family/business codes of conduct.
- Rule the access to the business ownership (restrictive clauses for the transfer of shares or stakes).
- Design the decision and govern policies.
- Plan the inheritance practices concerning the property and the business´ governance.
- Creating/adapting tools for developing the “Family Agreement”:
- Articles of Association.
- Marriage Settlements.
- Family business Tax Planning:
- Corporate Tax. Design of legal-tax strategies, aimed to obtain, for the transmission of the business´ property, acquired through inheritance or gifts, zero taxation.
- Business restructuring.
- Incorporation of holding companies, Foundations, etc.